Vegan Mofo Day 29 Gingerbread Granola



Day 29 is holiday test run day. I like to make my own granola now and again and I've been thinking about trying to come up with a seasonal flavour for a while. I kept coming back to something that I like to make at this time of the year - gingerbread!


I was pretty happy with the result but think I would like to tweak it still further. It's not overly sweet so I think next time I'd try adding a little more maple syrup, maybe 1/4 cup. I'd originally wanted to use dried apples but they seem to be out of favour at the moment and I could find dried fruit of all descriptions except apples! The dried pears tasted good but were a little too chewy for my liking and stuck in the teeth a bit! I think I would possibly try this again with some dried pineapple as pineapple and ginger is such a great combination. Anyway the texture came out great and I loved the pecans in it. I'll put the recipe below for people to play around with and I'll continue to refine it until I get it just perfect. I quite like to give glass jars of home made granola as gifts so maybe this will even make it as a Christmas present this year. We enjoyed it mixed into plain yoghurt that had been drizzled with Sweet Freedom.


Gingerbread Granola

Makes 4 servings

2 teaspoons of ginger
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 1/2 cups of oats
1/4 cup of dried pears
1/2 cup of chopped pecans
2 tablespoons of vanilla soy milk
2 tablespoons of rapeseed (canola) oil
1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses
2 tablespoons of maple syrup

Pre-heat the oven to 350f/ 180c

Stir the spices together in a cup and add them to a bowl along with the oats, pecans and dried pear and mix well.
In another bowl whisk together the soya milk, oil, maple syrup and blackstrap molasses.
Add the liquid mix to the oat mix and stir to combine.
Line a backing tray with greaseproof paper and tip the granola mixture onto it.
Bake for around 25 minutes giving it a few stirs and keeping an eye on it so the nuts don't burn.
Let it cool and store in a glass jar.

Comments

  1. We've made gingerbread granola from the Minimalist Baker before, and it was delicious! It's currently under consideration for Christmas morning breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great for Christmas morning. I will have to check out the MB recipe.

      Delete
  2. This looks and sounds so good! Gingerbread is one of my favourite flavours. I bought some gingerbread chai recently and it's my new favourite tea. I rarely have granola (the price tags tend to disagree with me) but this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gingerbread chai sounds amazing. I've just been looking on the Bluebird Tea website and was tempted by theirs.

      Delete
    2. That's the one I have! It's really nice.

      Delete
  3. I love gingerbread so much. It's been awhile since I've had granola, I will be trying this for sure. I have some oats I need to use up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big gingerbread fan. I love making gingerbread men too!

      Delete
  4. Your gingerbread granola sounds great; I'll have to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gingery things. A jar of granola would be a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe